CNR 1112 ten-wheeler (4-6-0) was originally built by Montreal Locomotive Works in 1912. This engine was one of fifty “G-16-a” class engines constructed between 1912 and 1913 for Canadian Northern Railway, which due to bankruptcy, was folded into the federal government created Canadian National Railways (CNR) in 1919. Engines from this class were strong yet simple, perfectly suited for the light duty jobs typically assigned to them, employed in both freight and passenger service.
Built as a coal-burner, it was converted to burn oil by the Quebec, North Shore, and Labrador Railway who purchased it, along with another G-16-a, from Canadian National Railways in 1952. Most of this class lasted into the mid to late 1950s before being retired.
Upon its retirement from the QNS&L in 1961, it was donated to the Canadian Railroad Historical Association, and became one of the first locomotives at the Canadian Railway Museum (ExpoRail) in Saint-Constant, Quebec, and the first to be kept indoors (November 24, 1962). CRM later leased the locomotive to the Railway Museum of Eastern Ontario for display. It was moved to the museum grounds on June 6, 1992.
Only one other locomotive of its class was saved from the scrapper’s torch, 1158, currently on display at the Western Development Museum in North Battleford, Saskatchewan.
- Cylinders 20” x 24” (50.8 cm x 61cm)
- Driver wheels 57” (145cm) 14 spokes
- Boiler pressure 180 lb. per square inch (1225kPa)
- Weight of engine 71 tons, weight of tender 18 tons empty (77 tons with boiler filled and 62 tons loaded with oil or coal)
- Length 62 feet (19m)
- Tractive Effort 24800 lb. (pulling power)