The Railway Museum of Eastern Ontario is governed by the Smiths Falls Railway Museum Corporation made up a volunteer board of Directors. The Annual General Meeting is held in November of each year. A year-end report is provided and elections take place for next year’s board as voted by the membership. Members are encouraged to consider a position on the board.
There are four executive positions: President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary. Besides the executive, there are up to five trustee positions available.
Currently, there is a Curator/Executive Director who is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the museum, reporting to the board.
The Railway Museum of Eastern Ontario will encourage the preservation of railway heritage in
our region. The museum will interpret the industry’s impact on the lives of our residents through
well planned public programming, engaging exhibitions and our collection of artifacts.
- Strive to be the ‘go-to’ resource for railway history and heritage in the region.
- Endeavour to work closely and be a strategic and trusted partner within the region’s tourism
- Be financially sustainable and have strong leadership to serve our stakeholders.
- Provide superior customer service excellence to a diverse audience consisting of our visitors,
members and partners.
- Provide a safe and supportive environment for our staff and volunteers.
- Continue to develop and support our collection of artifacts as it relates to our mission that are
held in the public trust, and in keeping with Provincial Standards.
The Railway Museum of Eastern Ontario will be the premier hands-on railway museum in our
region. Working with our stakeholders and tourism partners we will promote the cultural heritage
of railroading by sharing the stories of our communities and providing a unique and authentic
experience to our visitors, while maintaining a well-managed innovative and inclusive organization.